Young Farmer Discussion Meets originally scheduled for earlier this year resume this month, with Farm Bureau members ages 18-35 engaging in civil discourse on key agricultural topics of the day.
Discussion meets are meant to simulate committee meetings, with conversation and active participation expected of all participants. The competition is evaluated on the exchange of ideas and information on a pre-determined topic. Participants build discussion skills, deepen their understanding of important ag-industry issues and explore how groups can pool their knowledge, reach consensus and solve problems.
They’re also a great way to meet other Young Farmers, and spectators are always welcome.
Contestants must be Farm Bureau members age 18-35. Visit www.michfb.com/YFDiscussionMeet for the topics and more information. In the meantime, here’s the schedule:
- District 1 — July 25 at Weinberg Farms in Scotts; contact Sarah Pion, 269-377-4841
- District 2 — July 23 at River Dell Venue in Homer; contact Paul Pridgeon, 517-320-4444
- District 3 — July 18 at Horning Farms in Manchester; contact Hannah Meyers, 616-485-4469
- District 4 & 7 Discussion Meet & Golf Outing — Aug. 1 at Waters Edge Golf Course in Fremont; contact Adam Dietrich, 616-889-1857
- District 5 — late August/September, location TBD; contact Hannah Lange, 231-383-3131
- District 6 & 8 Discussion Meet & Golf Outing — Aug. 4 at Willow Springs Golf and Country Club in Vassar; contacts: Beth Rupprecht, 989-640-6913 (Dist. 6) or Becca Gulliver, 989-708-1082 (Dist. 8)
- District 9 — July 18 at Harrietta United Methodist Church; contact Nicole Jennings, 810-569-9610
- District 10 — Sept. 16, 6:30 p.m., location TBD; contact Sonya Novotny, 248-420-2340
- District 11 — late August, location TBD; contact Cole Iaquinto, 810-422-7322
- District 12 — Sept. 1 at Hanson Potato Farm, Cornell; contact Craig Knudson, 231-357-3864
High-school students with an affinity for agriculture can also showcase their knowledge and speaking skills in our Youth Discussion Meets, taking place this fall:
- Nov. 19 — Vicksburg High School (FFA Region I)
- Nov. 11 — Lenawee ISD (FFA Region II)
- Nov. 12 — Delta College (FFA Region III)
- Oct. 3 — Corunna High School (FFA Region IV)
- Nov. 11 — Ravenna High School (FFA Region V)
- Nov. 19 — Bay Arenac ISD (FFA Region VI)
For more information or to help out, contact Katie Eisenberger.